1. What are your rates?
TopCar prides itself on offering transparent rates with no hidden charges. Please pay close attention to all the information displayed during the booking process, so that you have complete and accurate information about your charges.
The rates offered on top-car-hire.com depend on the time when the booking is made, the office where the vehicle is to be collected and returned, the duration of the hire period, the type of vehicle, and any extras selected by the customer.
Rates vary depending on availability. At times of high demand, the rate for a particular type of vehicle may increase, so we recommend that you always book your vehicle hire well in advance.
Rates may also vary as a result of special offers made throughout the year.
2. What are the requirements for car hire?
Your driving licence must be valid in Spain, and have been issued for at least 3 years. The minimum age for eligibility is 21 years*.
*Group Z has a minimum age requirement of 40 years.
Bookings must be made in advance using a credit or debit card in your name. This must be presented when you collect the vehicle at our office.
If the driver is under 25 years of age, there will be a ‘young driver’ additional charge of €12 per day . This charge will be added during the booking process, once the age of the driver(s) has been verified, as this additional charge will apply independently to the main driver and to any additional drivers.
The booking must be made in the name of the main driver, who must hold the following documentation in order to hire the vehicle and collect it from our offices:
- National Identity Document or Passport
- Driver’s licence valid in Spain, or international driver’s licence.
- Credit or debit card in the name of the driver.
3. What is included?
The rate offered on top-car-hire.com includes unlimited mileage, taxes, Basic Compulsory Insurance with excess (CDW), i.e. partial collision cover for damage to third parties, along with robbery (TP), fire due to mechanical causes, and personal accident insurance (PAI), second driver, child seats and booster seats.
TopCar reserves the right to amend its policy on services included in its rates at any time. Such changes will only apply to future bookings, and will never be applied to bookings that have already been accepted.
The price offered via top-car-hire.com does not include fuel for the vehicle. The vehicle must be returned with the same amount of fuel as when it was collected.
4. What is not included?
The price does not include any extras or services not expressly specified, such as roof racks, GPS, new additional drivers, child seats with special features (such as Isofix models), SCDW Super Insurance, or any additional insurance cover that is not specified.
The CDW Insurance included in the rate offered at top-car-hire.com does not include damage to wheel rims or tyres, tyre punctures, damage to the vehicle underside, loss or breakage of keys or remote controls, damage caused by refilling with unsuitable fuel, or breakage of windscreens or wing mirrors. CDW insurance involves the application of an excess charge which, depending on the model of the hired vehicle, may vary between €500 and €1,800.
To supplement the basic CDW insurance (and to cancel or amend the excess charge conditions), TopCar offers SCDW Super Insurance. Please see Terms & Conditions.
5. What about the length of the vehicle hire?
6. How far in advance can I book?
7. What is the minimum age for car hire?
To hire a car, you must be at least 21 years of age*
*Group Z has a minimum age requirement of 40 years.
If the driver is under 25 years of age, there will be a ‘young driver’ additional charge of €12 per day. This charge will be added during the booking process, once you have specified the age of the driver(s), as this additional charge will apply independently to the main driver and to any additional drivers.
8. How do I pay?
It is essential to present a valid credit or debit card in the name of the driver in order to make payment and to drive away with the vehicle. Any other payment method must be discussed with the relevant car hire office.
Depending on the model of the vehicle, the insurance contracted and the payment method, a deposit may be required.
9. What insurance is included?
The rates offered via our website top-car-hire.com include the following insurance cover: Compulsory insurance and Third-Party Public Liability Insurance, Partial Cover for Collision with an excess charge (CDW), Anti-theft Cover, and Personal Accident Liability.
10. Excess charge and deposit
The excess is the cost which the customer must pay if the vehicle is damaged or stolen.
Basic Compulsory Insurance with excess (Collision Damage Waiver) is partial cover which covers collision damage, along with robbery, fire due to mechanical causes, and personal injury.
The amount of the excess charge is determined by the type of vehicle, and may be cancelled by taking out Super Insurance (SCDW), offered by TopCar. This does not apply to vehicles in Group Z.
The maximum excess charge will only apply in those cases where the damage or theft is due to non-negligent causes, which are not defined in the terms and conditions’ section on damage caused by driver negligence.
The excess charge may vary between €500 and €1,800 depending on the type of vehicle selected. This information will be given during the booking process.
With Basic Insurance or CDW, your account will be charged with the excess amount specified for the type of vehicle chosen, in the form of a deposit.
The deposit may vary between €200 and €1,800 depending on the group of vehicle selected, the type of insurance taken out, the payment method, and other terms and conditions of the vehicle hire.
Your deposit will be returned to you at the end of the hire contract period, provided that the vehicle has been returned in the same condition and with the same level of fuel as when it was collected, and at the time stated for its return in the booking conditions.
If you wish to be exempt from the payment of any deposit, you must take out the Super Insurance (SCDW) and pay by credit card. This does not apply to vehicles in Group Z.
If you take out our Super Insurance (SCDW) and pay by debit card, you must pay a deposit of €200. This amount will serve as a guarantee against any possible difference in the amounts of fuel or expenses in respect of costs not included in the Super Insurance (SCDW) cover.
Depending on your bank, the refund of the amount left as a deposit may take up to 15 working days to appear in your account
11. Taking out Super Insurance (SCDW)
Super Insurance (SCDW) is the broad collision damage cover offered by TopCar. In addition to what is included in the basic CDW insurance, it covers punctures, damage to wheels, wheel rims and mirrors, wing mirrors, windows, windscreens, lights, (headlights, back lights and indicators), roadside assistance, towing and replacement.
This cover guarantees you the most extensive cover for any eventuality, and it covers damage not covered by the basic insurance, such as damage to windows, tyres and lights.
Provided that you pay for your Super Insurance by credit card, you will not need to pay the excess charge*. Only by taking out our SCDW insurance and paying by debit card, can you limit your deposit to €200.
*Not applicable to vehicles in Group Z
The price of Super Insurance varies depending on the vehicle group chosen:
- Basic Groups: from €5 per day (up to a maximum of €90 per vehicle hire).
- Medium-Large Groups: from €7 per day (up to a maximum of €105 per vehicle hire).
- Premium Groups: from €9 per day (up to a maximum of €135 per vehicle hire).
- Super Premium Group, or Group Z vehicles: €20 per day (up to a maximum of €300 per vehicle hire).
You can take out Super Insurance during the online booking process. When you select Super Insurance, you will see displayed the exact total charge for the vehicle group and the number of days you have selected.
12. Damage not covered by any insurance
No insurance, under any circumstances, covers damage caused by driver negligence or by a failure to adhere to the hire contract terms and conditions, such as in the cases described below:
- Third-party Theft Protection cover applies if the car is stolen, and is liable for an excess charge in the case of driver negligence, for example, if the vehicle is stolen with the keys left inside it.
- Theft protection cover DOES NOT cover personal possessions.
- Fines, loss of keys, or any other expense caused by negligent use of the vehicle.
- The use of fuel which is not suitable for the vehicle.
- Any accidental damage where the customer does not complete and hand in the relevant accident report with a record of the details.
- Loss of child seats.
- Pushing or towing any other vehicle.
- Driving in places not suitable for public transport, such as beaches, motor circuits, forest tracks, country lanes, etc.
- Driving along unsurfaced roads — or roads that are surfaced, but have severe defects that could cause damage to the underside of the vehicle. Or driving in restricted areas.
- Negligent conduct in response to flashing alarm lights or warning signals from the rented vehicle.
- Transporting goods or animals, and especially dangerous or inflammable substances, and/or substances that could be harmful to the vehicle and its occupants. If the vehicle must be used to transport animals, it is essential to contact the office staff to confirm the conditions under which they are to be transported.
- Subleasing the vehicle, or lending it to third parties not authorised by the contract.
- Using the vehicle for any activity that could be considered unlawful.
- Carrying a number of passengers and/or an amount of luggage in excess of that authorised for the vehicle.
- Carrying luggage or any other item on the roof of the vehicle. In the case of special luggage, such as surfboards, customers must request from the company suitable accessories, such as a roof rack, to transport them. The company cannot be held responsible for any damage that may be caused to the said special luggage.
- Leaving in sight items that could attract the attention of thieves and thus result in damage to the vehicle.
- Soiling and/or damaging the interior of the vehicle beyond what could be caused by reasonable and careful use.
- Driving the vehicle while tired, sick, or under the influence of alcohol, medication or drugs — or reckless driving.
- Use of the vehicle for teaching or learning activities.
- Driving the vehicle outside the island where it was hired, or transporting it on a boat or any other means of transport or vehicle, or having it towed without authorisation.
- Failing to comply with the road traffic laws in force in Spain at the time when the vehicle is hired.
- Failing to adhere to any of the terms and conditions in the vehicle hire contract.
- Carrying out any act in bad faith, or knowing that it could cause harm or damage to the hire vehicle or to our company.
TopCar works with a Same-Same or Fair Fuel policy whereby the customer must return the vehicle with the same amount of fuel it had when it was picked up. If you have any special needs or requests regarding the fuel, please indicate them in the comments section when making your reservation.
14. What about taxes?
15. What about additional drivers?
On bookings made via top-car-hire.com a second or additional driver is free of charge, and must meet the same requirements as the main driver. It is essential the details of the additional driver are added when the contract is made.
If you wish to add further drivers, you can do so at the time of booking, or at the desk of one of our offices on the day you collect the vehicle. The charge for each additional driver is €9 per day, up to a maximum charge of €90 per vehicle hire.
A maximum of 4 drivers is allowed for one vehicle. Apart from the main driver and the first additional driver (which is free), you may add up to 2 further drivers on payment of the appropriate charge.
16. What about baby seats and booster seats for children?
Standard baby seats and booster seats will be provided free of charge to customers who book via top-car-hire.com and request them in advance. All seats are approved and comply with European safety specifications.
If the customer wishes to hire a seat with special ISOFIX features, they can do so at the time of booking. This type of seat is not provided free of charge, and is subject to availability and compatibility with the selected vehicle group. Customers will be advised of this when their booking is confirmed.
The charge for an ISOFIX seat is €10 per day, up to a maximum charge of €100 per vehicle hire.
For further information, please contact our customer service centre via email. Please send your query to firstname.lastname@example.org
17. What about roof racks and surfboards?
The roof racks offered by TopCar are exclusively for the transport of surfboards, and must not be used to transport goods, or any type of package or item other than that specified.
The charge for a roof rack is €2 per day, and can be selected as an optional extra during the booking process.
Please be aware that we do not have roof racks available for vehicle groups A, AH, E0, F, H, H1, H2, H3, J, L, S, S1, T, T1, V or Z, so if you have selected a vehicle from any of these groups, this option will not be displayed when you make your booking.
Only one surfboard may be transported per vehicle. The surf board must only be carried on the roof rack, not directly on the roof of the vehicle, nor inside it.
TopCar will take no responsibility for damage to the vehicle itself, or to third parties, caused by a surfboard transported on the roof rack. Such damage is always the exclusive responsibility of the customer hiring the vehicle.
18. What car model?
Our fleet, covering Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura, Tenerife, Lanzarote and La Palma, comprises over 100 different models, classified in groups. When you book a car, we will endeavour to provide you with the model you selected. However, we cannot in any way guarantee the model unless it is labelled “guaranteed model”. If we cannot provide the exact model you requested, we will provide you with a similar model, from the same group or from a superior group, and at the same price.
19. Can I change islands?
20. Can I extend my contract?
If you wish to extend your contract, we advise you to call the office from which you hired your vehicle. The staff there will be able to advise you on availability and rates to extend your hire period.
Please bear in mind that, without exception, an extension to a contract is deemed to be a new booking and therefore, the rate offered will be the one on offer on our website at the time when the extension is arranged, for the number of days and car group booked. If you are satisfied with the information you receive, and you decide to proceed with the extension, you must come in person to one of our offices to arrange the extension and pay for the new booking.
Likewise, please be advised that your contract will expire on the day, and at the time, specified in your contract, so unless you arrange an extension of time and manner, the contract will, to all intents and purposes, be deemed to have expired, and you must return the car on the day and at the time specified in your first contract.
21. Can I cancel or amend a booking?
If you wish to cancel or amend a booking, you can contact us by telephone on +34 828 91 31 18, or send an email to email@example.com, quoting the booking reference number, your name and surname, and the dates for which you arranged the booking. All these details are required in order to verify that it is you, and not someone else who is cancelling the reservation.
There is no charge for cancellation, but we would be grateful if you could cancel any booking that you will not be using, so that we can better serve our customers and effectively monitor the availability of our fleet.
22. What happens if I return the vehicle before my contract expires?
If a hired vehicle is returned early, TopCar will not make any refund for unused days, nor for any extras contracted for those days. Similarly, please be advised that the contracted insurance (and any cover) are deemed as used from the moment the vehicle is driven away on the day that your hire period commences.
23. What about collecting and returning at Hotels?
Hire contracts can only begin and end at the company offices (at Gran Canaria airport, Gran Canaria South, Fuerteventura airport, Lanzarote airport, Tenerife South, Tenerife North and La Palma airport).
We do not deliver, or accept the return of cars at hotels or places of residence where we do not have an office. The exception is on the island of Gran Canaria, where we do offer this service for an additional charge. The charge depends on the distance between our offices and the hotel or place of residence.
The following areas and rates have been set:
- San Agustín, Playa del Inglés, Meloneras: €15
- Sheraton Salobre: €20
- Puerto Rico/Amadores: €25
- Mogán: €30.
In all cases, the service of delivery to hotels is subject to availability. If you wish to take advantage of this service, please select the Gran Canaria South office when you make your booking, and state clearly that you wish to use this service in the comments section, including the exact details of the hotel and any other information you consider relevant. Please bear in mind that the additional cost for this service will not be included in the final price of your online booking, but will be added as an extra charge when the vehicle is delivered.
24. What if I need help?
If you need to contact us, please do not hesitate to call us on our customer service telephone numbers, or make your way to any of our offices, where we will be pleased to assist you.
You can find our contact details and details of our office opening hours in the contact section at https://top-car-hire.com/en/contact
25. What about Covid-19?
In response to the Covid-19 crisis, TopCar has adopted comprehensive safety measures, creating procedures and setting out a prevention plan to ensure the safety of both our customers and our staff.
TopCar was the first car rental company in Spain to obtain the “Safe Tourism Certified” certification. This was designed by the ICTE [Institute for Spanish Tourism Quality], with the aim of making customers aware of which companies and tourism organisations have successfully implemented an infection prevention system in response to the new coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2.
To see our Covid prevention measures, please visit https://top-car-hire.com/en/covid-19-measures
26. What privacy protection is there?
27. Is communication secure?
28. Any more questions?
If you have not been able to find an answer to your question or query on this page, we would be grateful if you could email us at our customer service centre at firstname.lastname@example.org, where we will do our best to deal with your query as quickly as possible.
You can also contact us via our contact form or by telephone, on the numbers found in the Contact section of our website: https://top-car-hire.com/en/contact